Cuchullain News

Published on May 23rd, 2016 | by admin

0

Unveiling and dedication of Pádraig Mac Piarais Plaque

Unveiling and dedication of Pádraig Mac Piarais Plaque for Dunloy GAA & CC grounds

 

Michael Hasson, Ulster GAA President, and Fr Blaney unveiled and blessed the Plaque for Pádraig Mac Piarais Park, Dunloy GAA & CC grounds in an unveiling ceremony on Saturday 21st May.  The name on the plaque copies the name inscribed on the first set of gates erected on the grounds.

 

This ceremony also marked the day that the park was officially opened on Sunday 21st May 1950.

 

The 1950 commemorative booklet explains that ‘In selecting the title of “Patrick Pearse”, by which name our new Grounds will in future be known, we hope that this choice will be an inspiration to our future Gaels and remind them of the ideals for which this great patriot died, and thereby help to keep alive the traditions of Gaelic culture in Dunloy.’

 

The above text was taken from the souvenir programmed produced for the blessing and opening of the new grounds on Sunday 21st May 1950.

 

History of the grounds

 

The new club was never without a playing field thanks to the generosity of the farming community.  However, in 1945 the committee in charge decided it was time that the club had a permanent playing field of their own.  Although funds were light within the club, so an appeal fund was organised and the parishioner and expectations with the sum of around £500 being realized from the collection, which was a tremendous amount of money in those days.  The purchase price of the three fields from Miss Annie Collins was £630.

 

So with the £500 plus functions etc. the new paying field was blessed by the most reverend Hugh Boyle DD, Bishop of Johannesburg, a native and beloved son of the parish and opened by Seamus McFerran, Chairman of the Ulster Council of Cumann Lútchleas Gael.  A man who also had Dunloy connections, and was soon to become President of the Gaelic Athletic Association.

 

In the selecting the title of “Pádraig Pearse” by which name our grounds were to be in the future know, it was hopped this choice would be an inspiration to our future Gaels and remind them of the ideals for which this great patriot died, and thereby help keep alive the traditions of Gaelic games and culture in Dunloy.

 

And if God wills that war’s red stain

Shall sweep once more o’er hill and plain

Out land shall call, and not in vain

For fighting line of Hurling mean

 

We wish to thank most sincerely the parishioners of Dunloy and Cloughmills for their tremendous and continued support.

 

Dunloy Cuchullains GA & CC

 

Credit to Ciaran Hasson – North Antrim GAA PRO for the report and pictures

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E90FF66C9F364B67!181065&authkey=!AH9INRqze6rqT1Y&ithint=folder%2cJPG


About the Author



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to Top ↑

  • Fans

    Contact Us

    Postal Address
    Dunloy Cuchullains GA & CC,
    Dunloy,
    BT44 9EF

    Phone
    T: +44 (0) 28 2765 7127

    Chairman: Billy Elliott
    E: Billy@fireprotec.co.uk

    Secretaries:
    Grainne Cunning
    E: secretary.cuchulliansdunloy.antrim@gaa.ie

    PRO: Mairanne McNeill
    E: mariannedunloy@yahoo.co.uk

    Social Media: Paul McLean
    E: paulmcl77@hotmail.co.uk