Team News

Published on May 30th, 2017 | by admin


U21 County Final Dunloy 2-21 Loughgiel 1-10

U21 County Hurling Final 2016

Armoy – Ref Darren mcKeown (pic by John Curly McIlwaine & Dylan McIlwaine)

Dunloy U21’s were crowded county champions after an emphatic 14 point over neighbours Loughgiel in Armoy last night.

A first half scoring spree where Dunloy hit 16 points they completely blew Loughgiel out of the way leaving it all to do for the Shamrocks in the second half. A green patch where they scored 1-02 without reply gave them slight hope but two second half goals from Conal Cunning ended any lingering hopes they may have had.

Dunloy opened the game up in rapid style with both Keelan Molloy and Conal cunning firing over 2 points apiece before Loughgiel scored from a James McNaughton free.

Another 4 points unanswered from Dunloy from Ronan Molloy, Keelan Molloy, Ciaran Elliott and Anton McGrath improved their grip on the game to give Dunloy a 0-08 to 0-01 lead with only 10 mins gone in the game.

Seaan Elliott got on the score board with a fine individual score and a second of the game by corner forward Anton McGrath made it double scored for Dunloy with only 15mins played in the game. Loughgiel keeper Caolan McGivern pulled off a great save from Anton McGrath and was quickest on the rebound to snuff out a certain goal but Conal Cunning was on hand to fire the ball back over the bar. This was quickly followed up by a score from Deaglan Smyth before Loughgiel did get back on the score sheet.

Another 4-point burst from Anton McGrath, Ronan Molloy and a brace for Conal Cunning put the 16 point mark on the score board for Dunloy with the half time whistle approaching. A final score for Loughgiel left it at half time Dunloy 0-16 Loughgiel 0-05 and a massive mountain to climb for the Shamrocks.

Loughgiel needed to get the first score of the game if they had any hope of getting back into this game but it was Dunloy who showed their intent by raising the first green flag of the day. A clearance out of defence from Eamon Smyth was picked up by Keelan Molloy who in turn picked out Conal Cunning to hammer the ball in the net and effectually put the game to bed so early in the second half.

It was no more than Cunning deserved as he had been outstanding the whole first half with his movement and scoring.

Two Loughgiel points from McNaughton and Ryan McKee gave them a bit of hope but their shooting let them down on too many occasions as they were guilty of hitting some poor wides. Keelan Molloy tapped over another 2 scores to wipe them out before the second goal from Conal Cunning finished the game off.

A brilliant save by keeper Caolan McGivern landed in the box for the man of the moment Coby to drive it home to the back of the net. It was the hammer blow that sunk the heads of the Loughgiel lads.

Loughgiel did score a goal from Damon McMullan free which somehow found its way into Ryan Elliot’s net but It was too little to make any sort of difference to the score line . Subs Callum Scullion and Liam McCann got in the act along with a Conal Cunning free only for centre half Eamon Smyth to top it off by firing over a long rang point from the middle of the park.

This was a fine performance from each and every player on the park for Dunloy. There was simply no weak links in any area of the pitch and every single player did their part. For Loughgiel they just couldn’t get anything off the Dunloy defence and were tortured by the Dunloy forwards movement for the hour. Damon McMullan had a fine game and along with Ryan McKee and Shan McGrath they worked hard but just couldn’t do it on their own.

For Dunloy, well its hard to single any players out as they all played their part in a fine victory. Special mention goes to the scoring duo of Keelan Molloy and Conal cunning who managed to score 2-12 between the pair of themselves.

Congratulations to each and every member of the panel and management.

About the Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to Top ↑