Team News

Published on June 7th, 2013 | by admin


SHL – Johnnies prove tough nut to crack.

Credit – Marianne McNeill via Dunloy Cuchullains Facebook

Dunloy 2-18 St Johns 1-17

St Johns were a tough nut to crack in this division 1 encounter. Played just two days after a very hard game against Loughgiel one must question the fixtures secretary’s wisdom as this was Dunloys 5th game in ten days and on Sunday we face Rossa with Cushendall next Wed.

Players were clearly tired tonight and in a subdued first half Dunloy took until the 23rd minute to register their first score from play as they trailed a Conor Johnston inspired St Johns 0-7 to 0-5 with Sean Dowds getting on to a great pass from Chris Brogan.

Paddy Richmond cancelled out Conor Johnstons long range point in the 27th but late points from Sean Dowds and Nigel Elliott gave Dunloy a 0-10 to 0-8 lead.

Two more Conor Johnston points leading up to half time left the sides locked together on 0-10 apiece at the short whistle.

The second half was less than a minute old when Kevin McKeague pointed to be quickly followed by Kevin Molloy to leave 0-2 between the sides.
Sean Dowds in the 4th minute benefited from Nigel Elliott chasing down a lost cause and he put Nigels excellent work over the bar to leave 3 between the sides.

Back to back points from Conor Johnston kept St Johns nipping at Dunloy heels but again Nigel Elliott weaved his way through and picked off a great point.

Liam Richmond and Conor Johnston traded points in the 14th but Dunloy hit the opening goal when turning defence into attack, Kevin McKeague to Kevin McQuillan who picked out Paddy Richmond on the edge of the square and his catch and pass found Sean Dowds who volleyed to the net.

St Johns then won a 40yd free and with a very strong sun in his eyes Gareth McGhee did get a touch on the ball but not enough to keep it out of the net and once again 3 points separated the sides.

Some excellent work by the Dunloy full back line with Michael McClements coming out with the ball after a goal mouth scramble kept St Johns at bay and with just under 10 minutes remaining Conor McKinley picked off a massive 90yd point from play.

Conor Johnston and Brian McFaul kept the pressure on Dunloy but in the 26th minute again Mickey McClements came out with the ball and was tripped. From Gareth McGhees resulting free from all of 100yds Paddy Richmond got the touch on the ball to drive it to the St Johns net.

Late points from Ciaran and Conor Johnston who hit 0-11 in total left the final score St Johns 1-17 Dunloy 2-18

Sean Dowds 1-9, Paddy Richmond 1-1, Kevin McKeague 0-3, Nigel Elliott 0-1, Kevin Molloy 0-1, Liam Richmond 0-1, Conor McKinley 0-1.


About the Author

Comments are closed.

Back to Top ↑