Archive no image

Published on March 1st, 2010 | by admin


Dunloy Girls help St Louis Ballymena to All Ireland Final (Mar 2010)

U14 Hurlers Trip to Kildangan

As the coach pulled away from Dunloy’s clubrooms on Saturday the 15th of September, with a full squad of U14 hurlers and their mentors, no one on board could have anticipated the extent of the welcome that awaited them from this year’s hosts , Kildangan GAA, its members and the wider hurling community there.

This trip was the second in as many years to one of the country’s hurling heartlands and one filled with great memories for all who had the opportunity to travel.

Following the customary stop for breakfast en route, next stop on arriving in the county was a surprise tour of the impressive Semple stadium in Thurles with the accompanying facilities. With time pressing, it was a short journey out the road to The Ragg to see Kildangan’s U14 team pit their skills against Cappawhite in a thrilling county final where they made history running out worthy winners with a gutsy display throughout the game, recording their clubs first county title at this level.

There was to be no let up in the pace of the day and shortly after the final whilstle, the Dunloy boys were to be treated once more when the organisers pulled out all the stops to have two of the current Tipperary county panel take a 90 minute training session with them in Borrisoleigh a few miles away. Noel McGrath and Tom Stapleton were on hand to share their impressive range of skills to an eager young audience. Both Tom and Noel were very complementary throughout the session with the ability of our young hulers. The boys as expected were put through their paces where speed of thought and intensity were key aspects of the session. At the end of the session the Tipp men were more than willing to hang around to sign sticks and jerseys for everyone.

Following a meal in the early evening orginised by Kildangan, each pairing of boys were then introduced to their host families and the chance to get to know and share stories with their opposite numbers from Kildangan.

Sunday morning saw no let up and once again Kildangan had a arranged a blitz at their own club with themselves and two other clubs invited. The Dunloy team rose to the challenge and were keen to impress from the outset, winning against Nenagh and Shannon Rovers before taking on a more sturdy test against the hosts, eventually overcoming their challenge and recording a hat trick of wins. Kildangan were noticeably tired from their exertions in their final the previous day which possibly flattered us but the Dunloy mentors were more than happy with the level of effort, intensity and application shown our players throughout all the games.

Behaviour on and off the pitch was exemplary at all times, with the under fourteens representing their club with pride.
The visit to Kildangan finished with the customary exchange of invites and gifts to mark the occasion before travelling to Nenagh to see another excellent victory for the Kildangan seniors this time, over running the favourites, Toomevara, to progress to the next round of the championship.

This weekend of juvenile hurling will go down on record as a great success and be remembered long into the future, in no small part to the energy put in from both clubs ahead of the trip, with Darragh and Monica from Kildangan and Eddie from our own club deserving of much of the plaudits. A special word of thanks to goes to the host families for their wonderful hospitality, the 2 clubs for their continued support, corporate coaching and special word of thanks the our sponsors. As always, Paul, Malachy, Sean, who doubles as our photographer and Eddie, who doubles as the coach comedian take great credit for the work they have done this year and their endless passion for the team and the game..

In addition to a very memorable weekend, the experience will also serve as a useful building block as the u14’s complete a very successful season and go from strength to strength. We hope to return the hospitality shown to us by the Kildangan club and continue the friendships made at some stage in the near future.



Dunloy 3-15 Ballycastle 1-8.

Dunloy got only their second league victory of the current campaign when they comprehensively beat a useful Ballycastle side by 13 points.
A game which saw both side field relatively strong teams with Ballycastle parading out four of their highly successful under 21 team. .

This game was fast open and not for the faint hearted and right from the throw in Ballycastle struck the opening point as a slip from a Dunloy defender allowed Saul McCaughan to fire over the opening point.
Malachy Dallas then doubled his sides lead when he caught and pointed after some good work by Mathew Donnelly to now open up a 0-2 lead by the 3rd minute.
Dunloy were slow to settle and finding space out on the wing they sent wide their first effort but direct from the poc out Sean Dowds won possession and picked out Colm Cunning who duly pointed..

Paul Shiels now took up a free role and in the 9th minute he combined with Sean Dowds to point from distance to leave the sides all square on 0-2 apiece.
Both defences were coming out on top but a foul on James McKeague saw the ball moved forward for dissent and from all of 75yds Paul Shiels sent it over the bar.
Paddy Doherty now got in on the scoring act picking off a 45yd free as again Dunloy raced through and by the 12th minute Dunloy had opened a 0-3 lead.
Ballycastle were working hard with Neil McAuley, Mathew Donnelly and Mickey Dallat working tirelessly in defence while up front a great tussle between Mickey McClements and Ballycastle starlet Ciaran Clarke was developing. .

From an almost impossible angle Ciaran Clarke cut the Dunloy lead when he picked off a point in the 17th it was to be Ballycastle’s final score of the half.
Dunloy hadn’t scored from the 12th minute and when Paul Shiels converted from a huge 80yd free Dunloy had now established a 0-3 lead.
Dunloy now stuck their first goal of the game and it came from Paudie Shivers finding Colum Cunning out on the wing and his clever cross field ball was caught and driven to the net by Paddy Doherty to double the Dunloy lead to 0-6..

With half time fast approaching Nigel Elliott again raced away from his marker before picking off an acute angle point to now leave Dunloy ahead 1-8 to 0-3.
Ballycastle needed a goal to keep in touch and less than a minute into the second half they won a 21yd free as Saul McCaughan was dragged back. From the resulting fee in Ciaran Clarke drove the ball direct to the net to now leave just 3 points between the sides..

Dunloy now began to push forward and with the Dunloy duo of Sean Dowds and Shane Dooey controlling the midfield the Dunloy forwards now got a steady stream of possession. Conor Cunning picked off a 3rd minute point and when Paul Shiels took a hand pass from Sean Dowds the white flag was raised as he fired over.
Ballycastle did create chances but four wides in as many minutes did little to aid their cause. .

Sean Dowds in the 6th minute then sent over and seconds later he was to be found in the half back line tussling for a ball which was eventually cleared up field to Paddy Doherty. Making a clean catch but with his back to goal he passed to the overlapping Nigel Elliott who found the net..

Ballycastle now sent on both Shane Staunton for James McLister and pushed Stephen McAfee to full forward but momentum was with Dunloy as Nigel Elliott added a point to the Dunloy tally.
Ballycastle now brought Ciaran Clarke out the half forward line and with Peter Dallat now out to centre forward he won possession but passed to a better placed Shane Staunton who pointed in the 12th minute..

Dunloy now sent on Liam Richmond for the injured Colm Cunning and when Chris Kearns picked out Sean Dowds in the 13th he worked himself into position and pointed..

Ballycastle threw everything at Dunloy and in the 15th minute Ciaran Clarke converted a 45yd free and in the 18th minute they broke clear with Stephen McAFee bearing down on goal. A great save by Nicky McKeague saw the ball out for a 65 and for a second time McKeague made an excellent stop at the expense of a 65 which Neil McAuley duly sent over the bar..

Ballycastle then won a 21yd free but this time Ciaran Clarke saw his well stuck effort saved by James McKeague and out for a 65 which was dropped in short and easily cleared.
Dunloy now turned defence into attack and Liam Richmond got his first point of the game to now leave 11 points between the sides.
Ballycastle again got clear with Stephen McAfee winning the ball and racing towards goal but finding himself quickly surrounded he kicked over a point and with less than a minute remaining Ciaran Clarke picked off a long range point from play..

Dunloy with their last attack now saw Nigel Elliott chase a ball and winning possession he picked out Paddy Richmond who from 15yds out and unmarked sent the ball to the net to leave Dunloy winners on a 3-15 to 1-8 final scoreline..

How They Played
This was a must win game for Dunloy as results in the league have been very disappointing and it was an excellent performance from them.
Ballycastle came up to Dunloy on the back of some very strong performances against both Loughgiel and Cushendall in recent weeks and with Dunloys poor start they must have felt they could have taken something from this game..

Dunloy upped their game and this was perhaps their best performance of the year so far. They worked hard in defence and upfront they produced some solid scores and their passing and movement was something Ballycastle found hard to contend with.
For Ballycastle their best came from defenders Paul McLarnon, Mathew Donnelly and a great tussle developed between Neil McAuley and Paul Shiels. Midfield never got to grips with the Dunloy duo but Eoin McAlonan tried hard. Upfront Ballycastle never got the room they needed and were left to feed on frees. Trying hard were Ciaran Clarke, Peter Dallat and when introduced Shane Staunton tried hard but overall they lacked a real cutting edge..

For Dunloy Nicky McKeague again did well between the posts making a couple of great saves while in front of him an outstanding Michael McClements never gave an inch. He was excellent throughout and alongside him Chris Kearns, Kevin McKeague and Conor McKinley all worked hard..

Midfield saw the Dunloy duo of Shane Dooey and Sean Dowds take the game to Ballycastle. Dowds again could be found covering every inch of the pitch while upfront Paddy Doherty, Paul Shiels, Paddy Richmond and Nigel Elliott were chief tormentors. .

Dunloy Paul Shiels 0-6, Nigel Elliott 1-2, Paddy Richmond 1-1, Paddy Doherty 1-1, Sean Dowds 0-2, Colm Cunning 0-1, Conor Cunning 0-1, Liam Richmond 0-1.
Ballycastle Ciaran Clarke 1-3, Saul McCaughan 0-1, Shane Staunton 0-1, Neil McAuley 0-1, Stephen McAfee 0-1.
Dunloy N McKeague, M McClements, C McKinley, C Kearns, K McKeague, J McKeague, P Shivers, S Dowds, S Dooey, C Cunning, P Richmond, P Shiels, N Elliott, P Doherty, C Cunning. Subs L Richmond for C Cunning.
Ballycastle R McMullan, D Donnelly, M Dallat, P McLarnon, M Donnelly, K Kelly, N McAuley, S McAfee, E McAlonan, M Dallas, J McShane, C Clarke, P Dallat, S McCaughan. Subs used S Staunton for J McShane, G Laverty for M Dallas.
Referee Eammon Hasson Swatragh. .



Cushendall 2-13 Dunloy 0-7.

Dunloy woes continued in this double header as they slipped to a second successive defeat in the Antrim league. With the game switched to Cushendall as the pitch in Dunloy was waterlogged Cushendall made the most of home advantage and in the end they ran out easy winners..

Dunloy were first onto the scoreboard as Paddy Doherty fired over a free inside the opening minute but Cushendall were soon back on level terms with Neil McManus finding the range to leave it 0-1 apiece on the scoreboard. .

For the next 14 minutes both defences remained firm with Sean Delargy, Donal McNaughton and Aaron Graffin shining for Cushendall while Kevin Molloy, Mickey McClements and Gareth McAllister coping well in the opening quarter
Paddy Richmond in the 16th finished off a fine three man passing movement but Dunloy were struggling upfront to put the ball over the bar while Cushendall were content to move the ball about and pick off long range scores as all to often Dunloy were far to keen to concede easy frees..

Neil McManus gave Cushendall the lead they were never to lose in the 20th and when Paddy Magill picked off a long range point from play seconds later the gap was now 0-4 to 0-2.
Dunloy closed to within a point as the two Paddy’s Richmond and Doherty combined for the latter to pick off what was Dunloys final score of the half..

Cushendall were much quicker and sharper on the ball and when Shane McNaughton picked off a 24th minute point and won a free which was converted by Neil McManus only three minutes of the first half remained. .

Dunloy then conceded a 27th minute penalty but it caused controversy as Shane McNaughton had played the ball without his stick but referee Garett Duffy waved away any Dunloy protests.
Neil McManus saw his well struck effort rise up and over the crossbar to leave the half time score Cushendall 0-7 Dunloy 0-3.
The second half saw Dunloy strike first with Paddy Doherty picking off an early point but direct from the poc out Dunloy conceded yet another free and this time Neil McManus made no mistake as he fired the ball over the bar..

Dunloy held firm until the 6th minute and under serious pressure they looked to have cleared their lines but the ball took a wicked deflection off a defenders helmet and fell into the space. Reacting quickly Paddy McGill quickly transferred it to an unmarked Shane McNaughton who stuck low and hard to the bottom corner of the net to give Cushendall a 1-8 to 0-4 lead..

Dunloy mounted a brief comeback with Sean Dowds picking off a long range effort from play but it was too little too late for Dunloy as up front the struggled to get any kind of cohesive play.
Cushendall were playing with plenty of confidence and a further two frees from Neil McManus in the 12th and 16th minutes were added too by an acute angle point from Paddy McGill. .

Paddy Doherty stuck with points in the 18th and 19th but Dunloy were not to trouble the scoreboard again as Cushendall piled on the pressure and in the 21st minute Conor Carson stroked home his sides second goal after a patient build up.
Both sides then saw themselves reduced to 14 men Dunloy losing Christopher Kearns while Aiden McNaughton followed him some three minutes later.
Dunloy threw everything forward and with the introduction of Darren Webb they tried but couldn’t raise a flag and with time almost up Neil McManus brought proceedings to a close on a 2-13 to 0-7 final scoreline..

How They Played
Cushendall set out their stall from early in this game and ran out deserving winners. Their defence was outstanding and never gave the Dunloy forwards any room to operate. The closed down the space and won most fifty fifty ball and holding possession they quickly moved the ball forward to their forwards.
Dunloys defence was always under serious pressure and never really got any respite and it was inevitable they would crack. A poor showing from Dunloy who again gave away far to many frees and all to often they conceded possession..

Cushendall now sit on top of division 1 and have reached the Tain Ulster hurling league final where they face all Ireland champions Loughgiel.
For Cushendall their defence was outstanding with Aaron Graffin, Sean Delargy and Donal McNaughton much to the fore with Delargy the man of the match as he consistently cleared and won possession. .

At midfield Paddy McNaughton tried hard while upfront Shane McNaugthon, Neil McManus and Paddy McGill ran the show.
For Dunloy their best came from defenders Mickey McClements and Kevin Molloy with Gareth McAllister trying hard. Midfield was best served by Sean Dowds while upfront Dunloy struggled and never got going with Paul Shiels, Paddy Doherty and Paddy Richmond trying hard..

Cushendall Neil McManus 0-7, Shane McNaughton 1-2,Conor Carson 1-0, Paddy Magill 0-3,
Dunloy Paddy Doherty 0-4, Sean Dowds 0-2, Paddy Richmond 0-1.
Referee Garett Duffy, St Galls..




Ballycran 4-18 Dunloy 1-12 .

Dunloy made the long journey down to Ballycran and came away with their tails firmly between their legs, suffering a 15 point defeat at the hands of the bottom club.
Dunloy missing several regulars can have no excuses as the Down men led from start to finish and indeed their forwards produced a devastating display.
Paul Keith opened the Ballycran account in the 1st minute and when Cormac Flynn tagged on a second Cran point Dunloy hit back with a point from Paddy Doherty.
Nigel Eliott for Dunloy and Conor Woods traded points in the 6th to leave a point separating the sides. .

James Coyle in the 8th broke clear and tapped over the bar as the pressure on the Dunloy defence grew, Kevin McQuillan collected a ball from Chris Kearns on the 40 and tapped it over for Dunloy but direct from the poc out Ballycran’s Conor Woods took the direct route and saw his effort shave the crossbar.
Paddy Dohertys 55yd free kept Dunloy in touch but James Coyle and a sideline cut from Woods left Ballycran 0-2 clear. .

Kevin McQuillan again got free after some good work by Sean Dowds but in the 15th minute Michael Ennis came bursting through the middle to hammer home the first of three first half goals.
Paul Keith then put 0-6 between the sides when he picked off an acute angle point.
Dunloy worked hard to get the ball forward and in the 17th minute Paddy Doherty got the ball over the bar to briefly close the gap to 0-5. .

That was as good as it got for Dunloy, as the game now swung firmly in the favour of Ballycran as Neil Toruney first saw his shot saved and following up on the rebound was James Coyle who thumped home his sides second goal.
Seconds laster Ballycran had their 3rd goal a low angled drive from Paul Keith left Dunloy reeling. .

Paddy Doherty with a rare point briefly lifted the gloom but by the end of the first half Dunloy were to trail 3-13 to 0-10 as Conor Woods again sent a sidline cut over the bar and two from James Coyle saw on a single reply from Sean Dowds.
The second half saw Dunloy only trouble the score sheet three times despite having plenty of possession but within 20 seconds of the restart Ballycran had their fourth goal with Neil Tourney getting free and hammering home. .

Aiden Clark and Michael Ennis then hit back to back points but Dunloy hit back with a 6th minute point from the stick of Paddy Doherty.
Dunloy now rejigged their defence switching Conor McKinley to full back and moving James McKeague to centre back and finally they pushed Paul Shiels to the forty where Dunloy had been struggling. .

Dunloy now had plenty of possession but all to often they were caught out and either sent the ball wide or a Ballycran defender would simply win back possession.
Paul Shiels in the 13th minute shipped a heavy tackle and from the resulting 21yd free he found the net but at the opposite end Scott Nicholason would convert three frees and a late 65 from James MxcKeague brought to an end an awful day at the office for Dunloy as the lost on a 4-18 to 1-12 final scoreline. .

How They Played
For Dunloy this was not one of their best days at the office and for a side in need of points, it doesn’t bode well for the future. They never looked like a side who knew what they were to do with the ball and upfront they never were allowed any time or space on the ball. .

Ballycran needed to win this game, and they did it in some style. They smothered out Dunloys forwards, won loose possession around midfield and upfront they exploited gaps in the Dunloy defence with deadly finishing.
Overall a very poor showing from Dunloy who are now mired at the foot of the table with only one win in their four opening games. .

Dunloy Kevin McQuillan 0-3, Paddy Doherty 0-4, Paul Shiels 1-0, Sean Dowds 0-3, James McKeague 0-1, Nigel Elliott 0-1.
Ballycran James Coyle 1-4, Michael Ennis 1-1, Paul Keith 1-2, Neil Tourney 1-1, Conor Woods 0-3, Scott Nicholason 0-3, Aiden Clarke 0-1, Conor Flynn 0-1. .




Loughgiel 2-14 Dunloy 0-13

Easter Sunday got the Antrim hurling league off to a flying start with fierce local rivals Loughgiel and Dunloy crossing sticks in this closely contested game.
Loughgiel started with their All Ireland winning team but for much of this game they were put on the back foot by a determined Dunloy side who were missing no less than five of their regular starting line up. .

Loughgiel were first to open the scoring with a point with less than 15 seconds on the clock coming from the stick of Benny McCarry but direct from the poc out Dunloy worked the ball into the corner and Paddy Doherty drew Dunloy level when he converted a 21yd free. .

Dunloy then took the lead with Paul Shiels and Sean Dowds combining with the latter firing over from distance.
Loughgiel kept in touch with a 30yd free from Liam Watson but at the other end Sean Dowds from a very acute angle fired over to keep Dunloy 0-1 ahead.
Dunloy then missed a couple of easy chances in the 5th and 6th minutes and Loughgiel were soon back on level terms when Kevin Molloy conceded the free and from the placed ball Liam Watson fired over. .

In the 7th minute Dunloy continued their good work and were finding plenty of space around the Loughgiel half back line and when Paul Shiels was picked out by Chris Kearns he picked off the point.
Loughgiel now got in behind the Dunloy rearguard but a well timed hook on Eddie McCloskey averted the immediate danger and Loughgiel had taken their wides tally to 2. .

Again Dunloy missed an easy free and by the 14th minute there was little to separate the sides.
Loughgiel were again caught in possession as Dunloy turned defence into attack and when Nigel Elliott clipped over a point it left 0-2 between the teams.
Loughgiel were struggling to gain possession around the middle and in the 16th minute a rather easy free was earned and again Liam Watson had the simple task of tapping it over the bar and drawing his sides level Benny McCarry finally got free from his marker and he picked off an acute angle point. .

Eddie McCloskey’s influence was growing and he began to support his midfield and in the 20th minute Loughgiel again were forced to concede a sideline cut. Paul Shiels sent it goal wards and first to react was Sean Dowds who pointed and when Darren Webb drilled a low ball into the corner Nigel Elliott again showed his marker a clean pair off heels as he pointed. .

Dunloy were working the openings and in the 25th minte a cross field pass from Sean Dowds picked out Paul Shiels who duly pointed but again wides from Dunloy became the order of the day as they took their tally to 7 compared to just 3 from Loughgiel.
With half time fast approaching and three points between the sides Benny McCarry and a fourth free from Laim Watson left just a single point between the sides but on the stroke of half time Loughgiel capitalized on a slip by a Dunloy defender and Shea Casey slammed home his sides first goal to leave the half time score Dunloy 0-8 Loughgiel 1-7. .

The second half saw Loughgiel come out and again the made the better start with Joey Scullion picking out Eddie McCloskey who fired over and when Paul Shiels was forced to retire injured in the 7th minute and this ultimately had the effect of disrupting Dunloys rhythm and despite Paddy Doherty slotted over the resulting free to again leave just 0-2 between the teams Loughgiel were now taking control of the game.
Again an easy earned free gave Loughgiel some breathing space in their defence and from the resulting free out the ball was worked to Declan Laverty who left in space picked his spot. .

Dunloy were losing their way and when Gareth McGhee landed a huge 100yd free over the bar Loughgiel replied with a point from Joey Scullion.
Fresh leges from Loighgiel were now introduced and with Dunloy conceding silly frees Liam Watson sent over frees in the 13th 15th and 17th minutes to effectively end the game as a contest. .

Dunloy had now given up the game but they battled gamely and when Eddie McCloskey again found his way to goal free he picked his spot.
Dunlloy then hit back with a couple of points from Sean Dowds and a late point from Nigel Elliott to leave the full time score Loughgiel 2-14 Dunloy 0-13. .

How They Played
Loughgiel pulled out all their big guns and started this game with their All Ireland winning side but for much of the first half they were out thought and out muscled by a vastly depleted Dunloy side.
Loughgiels greater level of fitness finally told on Dunloy and in the final quarter as they conceded a lot of frees and in the end the frees was the difference between the sides.
Dunloy have been hit hard with injuries and the loss of Paul Shiels had a major bearing on this game. Overall Dunloy worked hard but gave away too many frees within scoring range. .

Overall a great game to open the season with the huge crowd treated to a real thriller with Loughgiel having top performances from DD Quinn, Paul Gillan, Martin Scullion and Johnny Campbell who led in a hard working defence that was given a few tense moments. Midfield for Loughgiel never really got going until Eddie McCloskey was pulled back to support and this swung the game in Loughgiels favour. Upfront Joey Scullion in the second half was excellent and his vision created the Loughgiel goal and alongside him Benny McCarry and free taker Liam Watson did the damage for Loughgiel. .

For Dunloy their defence in the first half worked well with Kevin McKeague, Chris Kearns, Mickey McClements and Kevin Molloy always to the fore while midfield was under the influence of Sean Dowds and Paudie Shivers. Upfront Paul Shiels, Nigel Elliott and Paddy Doherty all tried hard. .

Loughgiel Liam Wastson 0-8, Eddie McCloskey 1-1, Shea Casey 1-0, Benny McCarry 0-3, Declan Laverty 0-1, Joey Scullion 0-1.
Dunloy Sean Dowds 0-5, Nigel Elliott 0-3, Paul Shiels 0-2, Paddy Doherty 0-2, Gareth McGhee 0-1,
Loughgiel DD Quinn, P Gillan, N McGarry, R McCloskey, J Campbell, M Scullion, J Campbell, M McFadden, B McAuley, L Watson, D Laverty, E McCloskey, B McCarry, J Scullion, S Casey.
Dunloy G McGhee, M McClements, K Molloy, O Quinn, K McKeague, G McAllister, C Kearns, S Dowds, P Shivers, K McQuillan, P Shiels, D Webb, C Cunning, P Doherty, N Elliott.
Referee Eammon Hasson Derry. .




Dunloy 1-13 Cushendall 1-4
The opening game in Armoy’s McAuley cup competition saw both sides battle their way through driving rain and a cold biting wind which chilled right to the bone.
For both sides this was their first game of the season but it was Dunloy who gained the upper hand when they won the toss and elected to play with the breeze.
The game had barely begun and with their first attack Dunloys Joe Smyth making his senior debut set up Paddy Richmond who opened the scoring with a goal.
Cushendall then hit back with a point from Paddy McGill in the 2nd for what was their only score of the half..

With the wind bending the flags so they nearly touched the ground Gareth Magee sent his first poc out wide and it wasn’t until the 5th minute that Dunloy added to their tally with a point from Sean Dowds.
Conor Cunning then chipped in with a long range point in the 6th to now leave 0-4 between the sides..

Cushendall then came forward but again the wind was making scores impossible to come by and from only 40yds out a free in from Shane McNaughton was caught by the wind and dropped into the square before being cleared.
A slip from a Cushendall defender then allowed Dunloy time to pick their spot and Kevin McQuillan flicked the ball over the bar and when Paddy Richmond pointed from a difficult angle Dunloy had extended their lead to 0-6.
Shane Dooey in the 12th minute chased a lost cause and won possession before playing a one two with Sean Dowds he fired over..

Dunloy were adjusting to the breeze and when Sean Dowds and Conor Cunning struck with points in the 14th minute there was a sizable gap growing between the sides.
Cushendall kept pushing forward but Dunloy’s defence were well organised with Kevin Molloy and Conor McKinley well on top Cushendall could find no way through.
An injury to Sean Dowds saw him forced to retire in the 16th just as he sent over a 65yd free for Dunloy and his replacement Paddy Doherty was soon in the thick of the action as he fired over a 65..

Cushendall again pushed forward but to no avail as this time Gareth McGhee made a near post save and from the resulting 65 the ball dropped short and was cleared. With two minutes remaining Dunloy again got through the middle with strong running from Darren Webb and his pass outside found Paddy Doherty who was fouled and from the resulting free in Paddy Doherty fired over.
With the game entering injury time Dunloy then lost Kevin Martin to injury and he was replaced by Kevin McKeague..

With time almost up and with the last poc of the half Conor Cunning struck with a point to leave the half time score Dunloy 1-11 Cushendall 0-1.
Cushendall now made several positional switches sending both Neil McManus and Conor Carson forward in a bid to cut the deficit and in the 3rd minute Neil McManus sent over a 65yd free..

Dunloy now were on the back foot and their defence were now being put to the test. Kevin McKeague and Kevin Molloy now linked and with Conor Cunning dropping deep he provided an outlet and in the 10th minute the ball was sent through to Paddy Doherty who pointed.
Direct from the poc out Cushendall now found their feet and worked the ball to Neil McManus who raced towards goal but he was taken to ground and from the resulting free in, he duly pointed to now leave 0-12 between the sides.
Cushendall were now on top and pushing forward but an insistence in going for goal was to cost them several scores and it wasn’t until the 18th minute that either side broke their scoring duck..

A push on Conor Carson now earned Cushendall a 45yd free and it was easily despatched over the bar by Neil McManus to now leave 0-11 between the sides.
Dunloy then came surging forward and Paddy Richmond could have scored his second goal but only watch as his shot rose up and over the crossbar.
With 9 minutes remaining Neil McManus gave Cushendall a glimmer of hope as he sent a 21yd free to the Dunloy net but neither side could add to their tally and with a minute of injury time played referee Mark O’Neill called for the ball as Dunloy ran out 1-13 to 1-4 winners..

How They Played
For both sides this was their first game of the season and played in terrible conditions. A bitterly cold and wet day which saw the breeze effectively dictate the game and with Dunloy winning the toss they held the early advantage.
They took the game to Cushendall and soon built up a sizeable lead while in the second half Dunloy were able to pull players back to help out their defence.
Cushendall tried hard with solid performances from Ronan Kearney in nets while in front of him Donal McNaughton, Neil McManus and Sean Delargy worked well in defence. Midfield tried hard with Karl McKeegan the pick of the bunch while up front when switched forward Neil McManus was Cushendall’s best forward and he got good support from Paddy McNaughton and Conor Carson.
For Dunloy their defence was strong with Gareth McGhee excellent in nets while in front of him Kevin Molloy, Conor McKinley, Kevin McKeague and Paudie Shivers did everything asked of them..

Darren Webb and Sean Dowds were always to the fore while upfront Paddy Richmond, Paddy Doherty and Conor Cunning picked off the scores..

Dunloy Paddy Richmond 1-2, Paddy Doherty 0-3, Conor Cunning 0-3, Sean Dowds 0-3, Kevin McQuillan 0-1, Shane Dooey 0-1.
Cushendall Paddy McNaughton 0-1, Neil McManus 1-3.
Dunloy G McGhee, K Martin, C McKinley, O Quinn, C Kearns, K Molloy, P Shivers, S Dowds, D Webb, K McQuillan, C Cunning, S Dooey, N Elliott, P Richmond, J Smyth.
Cushendall R Kearney, S Delargy, C Carson, T McAllister, D McNaughton, N McManus, M Burke, J McManus, K McKeegan, Eoin Laverty, B Delargy, P McNaughton, Eammon Laverty, P Magill S McNaughton.
Referee Mark O’Neill Armoy..





Dunloy retain Senior Feis Cup, Cushendall clinch first McMullan Cup while Loughgiel win at the double Last weekend’s Feis na nGleann, which was hosted by the All Saints Ballymena for the first time in its 107 year history, turned out to be a great success with a range of titles in hurling, football and Camogie being decided.

Dunloy retained their Senior Feis Cup Hurling crown when they scored a comprehensive 4-15 to 0-11 win over Cushendall. When these two sides met in last year’s final it took extra time to decide the destination of the trophy but this time around the Cuchullains were clear winners as they turned in an impressive display.

With both teams missing their county players (because of next weekend’s crucial All Ireland qualifier against Limerick) Cushendall were obviously hardest hit but let’s take nothing away from Dunloy who showed impressive form. With Conor McKinley, James McKeague and Chris Kearns rock solid in defence and Colm Cunning and man of the match Sean Dowds dominating midfield they provided a solid platform for victory.

With all six forwards getting on the scoreboard the Cushendall defence were hard pressed, though they defended heroically and kept within touch until just before half-time when Kevin McQuillan rattled a Paddy Richmond cross to the Cushendall net to give his side a 1-9 to 0-5 interval lead.

The second-half saw more of the same as Dunloy always held the upper hand and two goals from the evergreen Paddy Richmond sealed an impressive win.
Paddy Richmond 2-2, Sean Dowds 0-7, Nigel Elliott 1-1, Kevin McQuillan 1-1, Paudie Shivers 0-3,Greg O’Kane 0-1.
Paddy McGill 0-3, Paddy McNaughton 0-2, Fred McAuley 0-2, Donal McNaughton 0-2, Sean Delargy 0-1, Eunan McKillop 0-1.
Dunloy C Brogan, M McClements, C McKinley, C Cunning, C Kearns, J McKeague, K Martin, C Cunning, S Dowds, P Shivers, L Richmond, G O’Kane, N Eliott, P Richmond, K McQuillan.
Cushendall R Kearney, S Delargy, O Scullion, T McAllister, E Heggarty, D McNaughton, S McKillop, P McNaughton, M Burke, P McGill, J McManus, E McKillop, F McAuley, B Delargy, A McNaughton.
Referee Owen Elliott – All Saints.

Report from North Antrim GAA.




The final game of a sixteen game extravaganza saw North Antrim’s two fiercest rivals Dunloy and Loughgiel in opposition in the Countess of Antrim Cup final (Senior Reserve Hurling) and proved as good a game as any over the four days. .

The exchanges were ‘teak tough’, to put it mildly, as Dunloy got the better of their old sparring partners with substitute Cormac Gaston grabbing a late winning goal for the Cuchullains to seal a bruising encounter. .

With former Antrim stars like Malachy Molloy, Damian McMullan and Conor Cunning on show the Cuchullains had the better of a low scoring first half which ended with the Dunloy men 0-5 to 0-3 in front. .

A brilliant goal from Malachy Molloy midway through the second-half seemed to have given Dunloy the edge, but some great hurling by Seamus Dobbin and Dan McCloskey saw Loughgiel edge their way back, and when Ronan Carey fired over the equaliser in the final minute, extra time seemed certain. .

However a long range free from Dunloy goalkeeper Damian McMullan was finally finished to the net by Cormac Cunning to clinch victory for Cuchullains, though it took a great save by McMullan from a Chopper McGarry ‘rasper’ deep in injury time to deny the Shamrocks a draw.





With just under five minutes remaining this game looked to be heading for extra time but two late Dunloy points earned them a third Ulster league crown in four years.
This was a typical derby game and Dunloy were unfortunate to be five points adrift at the short whistle as they had shot far too many wides.

A closely fought game throughout and one which kept referee Herbie McAuley on his toes throughout as he made a total of 7 bookings.
Both sides made several positional switches at the start with Loughgiel sending Barney McAuley to midfield and Damien Laverty going to full forward while Ronan McCloskey made a start at corner back and Mark McFadden was sent to the half back line.

Dunloy started with Paudie Shivers and Paul Shiels taking their spots at midfield with Colm Cunning moving to the forwards.
The game got off to a cracking start with both sides creating chances but both sides missed the target. By the 4th minute Loughgiel had got in behind the Dunloy defence but an excellent save from Gareth McGhee denied James Campbell after a long range free from Johnny Campbell had cannoned off the upright.

Dunloy then hit their second wide and when Paddy Richmond had sent the ball over the bar for Dunloy it was ruled out as Paddy Doherty had committed a third man tackle and earned the games first yellow. Johnny Campbell then picked out Joey Scullion who fired over in the 7th and when Dunloy came upfield again and missed an easy score direct from the poc out Loughgiel punished their inaccuracy with Liam McKillop firing over from distance.

Dunloy’s defence now began to grow in stature and with Kevin McKeague and Conor McKinley well to the fore the ball was whipped forward and a simple handpass from Greg O’Kane left Sean Dowds to open the scoring.

Dunloy were now firmly encamped in the Loughgiel half and when Sean Dowds burst through he spotted an unmarked Paddy Richmond on the edge of the square and he passed. DD Quinn made an excellent save and cleared his lines via a relieved Paul Gillan.

Loughgiel were struggling to find room to operate and winning their first free in the 15th minute Gareth McGhee drove the ball deep into the Loughgiel half and Liam Richmonds clever lay off found Sean Dowds who pointed. Three more Dunloy wides took their tally to 8 while a much more economical Loughgiel soon restored their three point lead when a fine passing movement involving Eddie McCloskey and Joey Scullion saw them pass back to an unmarked Liam McKillop who picked off a long range effort.
A Joey Scullion 30yd free then duly followed in the 21st but direct from the poc out Greg O’Kane sent over a 65yd free to leave just two points between the sides.

Referee Herbie McAuley then booked Neil McGarry and Barney McAuley while Dunloy saw James McKeague follow them into the notebook as the challenges were teak tough and not for the faint hearted. Joey Scullion again from the placed ball put 0-3 between the sides as Dunloy gave away easy frees and when Eddie McCloskey was sent through by Joey Scullion in the 27th minute he raced towards goal but saw his shot blocked but regaining possession he took the point on offer to now leave 0-4 between the sides.

Dunloy now saw their second goal chance go a begging when Sean Dowds found Paddy Richmond unmarked but his pass was over hit and the ball drifted harmlessly wide. With half time fast approaching a rare slip from man of the match Kevin McKeague saw Odhran McFadden gain possession to score his first point of the game to give Loughgiel a commanding lead of 0-8 to 0-3 at the short whistle.

A change at half time saw Dunloy replace Paddy Doherty with Chris Brogan and with less than a minute played Dunloy had cut the Loughgiel lead to 0-4 when Paudie Shivers sent over a long range point.

Dunloy then saw a 70yd free go wide in the 3rd minute while at the other end Loughgiel were now struggling to find a way past a very strong Dunloy defence.
Backchat from Dunloy saw a Loughgiel free moved ten yards closer to the target and Joey Scullion made no mistake in putting the ball over the bar but direct from the poc out Dunloy worked the ball forward and Colm Cunning sent over from distance to now leave 0-4 separating the sides.

Dunloy were now finding their form and in the 6th minute they had cut the gap to just 0-2 when Greg O’Kane sent over a wonderful point curling the ball inside the posts.
Dunloy were now in control of the game as Loughgiel chased the game and when they conceded a 10th minute penalty they were let of the proverbial hook when Gareth McGhee completely miss timed the ball and his weak shot was easily saved.
By the 11th minute Dunloy had the ball over the bar this time Paul Shiels was left clear and given time and space he pointed from all off 80yds.

Loughgiel now rang the changes replacing James Campbell with Kevin McGarry but with the Dunloy half back dominating the game Loughgiel were finding it harder and harder to break though. Dunloy had the game under their control but again wasteful shooting saw them miss three in a row and in the 22nd minute Joey Scullion and restored their three point lead.

Loughgiel again reshuffled their pack sending on Shea Casey for Odhran McFadden but Dunloy now got right back into the game when from a high ball in from Greg O’Kane came back off the upright Paul Shiels was on hand to drive the ball to the corner of the net to leave the sides locked on 1-7 to 0-10.

Dunloy were in control of the game but again more wides were to follow and Loughgiel then burst forward and Damien Laverty saw himself blocked and a scramble ensued. Kevin McKeague emerged with the ball but again a foul had been committed by a Dunloy defender but the subsequent free was sent wide.
Loughgiel now came in search of a winning score but were beaten back and when Cathaoir Cunning won a series of frees out of his defence Loughgiel were forced to shoot from distance.

It was now their turn to waste possession and a 27th minute wide was punished by Dunloy as winning their first free inside their own half.
Greg O’Kane made no mistake in finding his range as he gave Dunloy a slender lead and when he collected the ball less than a minute later he fired over to give Dunloy a two point lead.

Loughgiel came in search of goal and a surging run from Shea Casey was ended when a well timed block from Michael McClements saw the ball quickly cleared.
A last gasp long range effort from Loughgiel went wide and with nearly three minutes of injury time played referee Herbie McAuley called for the ball as Dunloy ran out winners on a 1-9 to 0-10 scoreline.


How They Played

On the day Dunloy were the much better side and should have won this game by much more than two points. They held the Ulster champions scoreless in the second half and for much of this game Dunloy dominated the game.
Loughgiel will point to the fact they were missing Liam Watson but it must also be remembered they played a side who in their own words had only trained three or four times since losing back in August to the same opposition.

Dunloy defence were outstanding and over the hour they only conceded three points from play inside the forty and never gave Loughgiel any real room to operate.
Both sides produced some flowing hurling and many of the scores were well worked but as the game progressed Dunloy began to take control and only poor shooting from their forwards kept Loughgiel in the hunt.

Stats from the game show a total of 23 wides, 15 of which belonged to Dunloy 8 to Loughgiel and scores from play show Loughgiel taking 0-5 while Dunloy hit 1-7 from play.
For Loughgiel their best came from netminder DD Quinn who produced a couple of excellent saves while infront of him Neil McGarry, Johnny Campbell and Paul Gillan worked tirelessly for Loughgiel. At midfield Barney McAuley and Liam McKillop worked hard but overall this was an area dominated by the Dunloy duo. Up front Loughgiel never got going and were well shackled but overall Joey Scullion and to a lesser extent Eddie McCloskey tried hard.

For Dunloy their defence was outstanding with Kevin McKeague man of the match as he formed a rock solid half back line with Kevin Molloy and James McKeague. Indeed Dunloy six defenders did what was asked of them and the only blot on their copy book was a willingness to give away silly frees. Midfield saw Paudie Shivers excellent while a roving Paul Shiels worked well over the hour and was well placed to take his goal. Upfront Dunloy wasted many opportunities but led by Greg O’Kane, Sean Dowds Colm Cunning and Paddy Richmond they gave Loughgiels defence a thorough testing.

Dunloy Greg O’Kane 0-4 (0-2 frees), Paul Shiels 1-1, Sean Dowds 0-2, Colm Cunning 0-1, Paudie Shivers 0-1.
Loughgiel Joey Scullion 0-5 (0-4frees), Liam McKillop 0-2, Eddie McCloskey 0-1, Johnny Campbell 0-1 free.
Dunloy G McGhee, M McClements, C McKinley, C Cunning, K Molloy, J McKeague, K McKeague, C Cunning, P Shivers, P Shiels, L Richmond, G O’Kane, P Richmond, P Doherty, S Dowds. Sub C Brogan for P Doherty.
Loughgiel D Quinn, P Gillan, N McGarry, B McAuley, R McCloskey, J Campbell, M Scullion, M McFadden, L McKillop, E McCloskey J Campbell, O McFadden, B McCarry, J Scullion, D Laverty. Subs K McGarry for J Campbell, S Casey for O McFadden, A McCloskey for Laverty.
Referee L McAuley Glenravel .




A late goal from veternan Alistair Elliott three minutes from time sealed a hard earned victory over a lively and capable Glenariffe side to seal Dunloys place in the Ulster Hurling league latter stages.

Backed by a strong breeze Glenariffe were first to open the scoring as Conor McAllister picked off a point from midfield and when Kevin McDonnell cut inside and saw his shot from close range tipped up and over the seasiders had stretched their lead to 0-2.
Paul Shiels in the 8th drew Dunloy level as he converted a 45yd free and when Dunloy turned defence into attack Alistair Elliott was left to pick off the equalising point.

Glenariffe again stretched ahead and were playing some nice one touch hurling as Johnny Tosh fired over from the placed ball in the 11th and 14t minutes.
Dunloy kept in touch as Paul Shiels immediately pulled one back for Dunloy and when a poor poc out from the Glenariffe keper was charged down Paddy Richmond was on hand to score Dunloys final point of the half.

Wides now became the order of the day as Dunloy took their tally to 4 while at the opposite end Glenariffes tally also worked it way up to 4. Johnny Tosh in the 20th broke free from his marker and picked off a point for Gleanariffe to open a one point gap but Dunloy defence held on until the 29th when Conor McAllister converted a 65 after a smart save from Gareth McGhee to deny Martin Butler.

As half time approached Glenariffes lead had been stretched to 0-3 when from a long range free Conor McAllister sent the ball over the bar to leave the half time score Dunloy 0-4 Glenariffe 0-7.

The second half saw Dunloy now playing with a strong breeze and in the 4th minute Kevin McQuillan opened the scoring as he collected the ball from a huge Gareth McGhee poc out to leave just two between the sides.
Glenariffe then hit back with a Johnny Tosh 40yd free after Martrin Butler had been upended to restore their three point lead.

Paddy Richmond now won a 21yd free and from the resulting free in Paul Shiels sent the ball over the bar to again leave just 2 points between the sides.
Dunloy now hit their first goal in the 7th minute when clever interpassing between Colum Cunning and Paddy Richmond split open the Glenariffe defence and Alistair Elliott gave the keeper little chance with his well struck effort and Dunloy now held a slender 1 point lead.

Cathaoir Cunning then fired over point from an acute angle and when Paul Shiels soloed through to pick off a 10th minute point Dunloy had now established a three point lead.

Glenariffe had rarely threatened in the second half and with only their second attack Johnny Tosh sent Martin Butler on his way, his initial shot was blocked down and in their attempts to clear Dunloy lost possession and with a simple flick of the ball Kevin McDonnell slammed home his sides goal to leave the sides all square on 1-8 apeice.
Dunloy now hit 5 wides in a row as they dominated possession but failed to convert it into scores and in the 21st minute Paddy Richmond moved out to the forty and picked off a point.

Glenariffe dug deep and in the 23rd minute hard work was rewarded when Conor McAllister knocked over a long range free but direct from the poc out Gareth McGhee again delivered the ball right into the hand of Paddy Richmond who fired over to leave Dunloy ahead by a single point.

Again Paddy Richmond won the poc out and fired over to now leave 0-2 between the sides but in the 25th minute Johnny Tosh sent over a 30yd free to set up a close finish.
Dunloy now upped the tempo and with just two minutes remaining strong running from Colum Cunning set up Alistair Elliott and once again the veternan forward showed his marker a clean pair off heels as he fired home his second goal of the game to give Dunloy a four point cushion.

Paul Shiels capped a hard earned victory for Dunloy with two late points as Dunloy held on to win on a 2-13 to 1-10 final scoreline.

This was a close fought and highly entertaining game which saw the lead change hands on several occassions. With the breeze having a major impact in the game despite having plenty of early possession Glenariffe only led by 3 at the interval and against such a strong breeze it was always an attainable target.

Dunloy are still without many of their regulars and on Saturday they had to dig deep to finally overcome a very strong Glenariffe side who pushed them all the way.
For Dunloy their best came from Gareth McGhee in nets who once again pulled off two excellent saves and in front of him Paddy Martin had an excellent contest with Johnny Tosh while Kevin Mckeague, Chris Kearns and James McKegue worked hard in defence. Midfield saw Colum Cunning work tirelessly for his side while up front Paul Shiels, Paddy Richmond and Alistair Elliott were the danger men for Dunloy.

For Glenariffe they worked hard with keeper Shannon McToal working hard between the posts while infront of him Randal McDonnell, Chris Shepard, Mickey Gettins and Mark Nutly all tried hard. Midfield saw Conor McAllsiter in excellent form while up front Kevin McDonnell, Martin Butler and Johnny Tosh the pick of the Glenariffe attack.

Dunloy Alistair Elliott 2-1, Paul Shiels 0-6, Paddy Richmond 0-4, Cathaoir Cunning 0-1, Kevin McQuillan 0-1.
Glenariffe Kevin McDonnell 1-1, Johnny Tosh 0-5, Conor McAllister 0-4.

Dunloy G McGhee, P McKeague, P Martin, C Kearns, K Molloy J McKeague, K McKeague, R McErlean, C Cunning, K McQuilan, P Shiels, C Cunning, A Elliott, P Richmond, C Brogan.

Glenariffe S McToal, C McToal, M McKillop, C Shephard, M Nutly, M Gettins, R McDonnell, C McAllister, K Healy, M Bulter, P McDonnell, D McKillop, K McDonnell, J Tosh, A Cosgrove.

Referee G Duffy St Galls..




Dunloy make it four wins out of four as the came from behind to overcome a strong and determined Ballycran side who assisted by the breeze had led 1-6 to 1-2 at half time.

Against the breeze Dunloy opened the scoring with a point from Alistair Elliott in the 3rd minute but a combination of the strong breeze and some excellent defensive work by Ballycran.

A long range solo effort from Peter Gilmore drew the Down side level and in the 6th minute Colm McManus gave his side a slender 1 point lead when he fired over a 30yd free.

Dunloys makeshift side were creating openings but the breeze took several chances wide and by the 12th minute they fell furhter behind as Mick Braniff tested the Dunloy defence as his shot shaved the Dunloy crossbar and went over.
Gary Gordon was working hard around the middle and when took a handpass from Donal Ennis he fired over to now leave 0-2 between the sides.

Colm McManus again proved accurate from the placed ball as this time he pointed from a very acute angle and in the 23rd minute Ballycran took a huge step in taking control of this game.

Gary Savage won the ball on the 40 and despite an intial block down by a Dunloy defender it was snapped up by Scott Nicholson who in turn picked out an unmarked Mick Braniff who lofted the ball over an advancing Dunloy keeper.
Dunloy now came in search of a score and it duly arrived a full 22 minutes after their last one as Liam Richmond fired over to leave 0-6 between the sides.
With half time fast appraoching Colm McManus again fired over from the placed ball as Ballycran restored their 7 point cushion but with two minutes of normal time remaining Dunloy got themselves right back into the game when Ali Richmond set Alistair Elliott on his way. Drawing in denfenders he passed to an unamrked Cathaoir Cunning who volleyed to the net to leave the score Ballycran 1-6 Dunloy 1-2 at the break.

The second half saw Dunloy introduce Paul Shiels as they lost Ali Richmond to injury and Shiles made an immediate impact setting up Conor Cunning with a point inside 20 seconds.

A free from Paul Shiels found its way over the bar but Ballycran hit right back to restore their four point lead as Mick Braniff again saw a goal bound effort tipped up and over and direct from the poc out the ball was worked into the corner to Aiden Clarke who picked off a point.

Dunloy now upped their workrate and with their half back line beginning to take control of the game and a simple handpass out of defence was caught and pointed by Paul Shiels, by the 12 th minute the Ballycran was now reduced to a single point as Paul Shiels again picked off a point and by the 20th minute Dunloy had taken the lead as he weaved his way though the Cran defence and finished with a goal.

Alistair Elliott then got in on the scoring act pointing from an almost impossible angle and by the 22nd minute Dunloy were in completed control of the game as they led 2-8 to 1-8.

In the final five minutes of the half Dunloy upped the tempo and hit points from the Cunning brothers Colum and Cathaoir and when Colm McGuickan also picked off a late point there was still time for Paul Shiels to pick off his second goal to leave the full time Score 3-11 to 1-8..

This was a game very much of two halves and with the breeze at their backs in the second half Dunloy were able to pull clear. Ballycran missing so many first choice players pushed them all the way and in the end it turned into a very entertaining contest.

Dunloy Paul Shiels 2-4, Cathaoir Cunning 1-1, Alistair Elliott 0-2, Liam Richmond 0-1, Conor Cunning 0-1, Colum Cunning 0-1, Colm McGuickan 0-1.
Ballycran Mick Braniff 1-2, Colm McManus 0-3, Gary Gordon 0-1, Peter Gilmore 0-1, Aiden Clarke 0-1..

Referee Eoin Elliott- All Saints .




A depleted Dunloy side were too strong for a young inexperienced Slaughneil side on Saturday 6th March. Dunloy fresh from their All Ireland campiagn fielded without several regulars and ran out easy winners.

Paddy Doherty was a constant source of danger and the Dunloy youngest quickly settled any early nerves when he collected the ball from Kevin McKeague and fired in Dunloy’s first goal.

It was a fast and fit Dunloy which now took control of the game as Paudie Shivers, Conor Cunning and Paddy Doherty all fired over long range points and in the 11th minute Slaughneil got their opening score from a 45yd free.
Paddy Doherty was on top form and hit another 2 for Dunloy and when Chrissy Brogan sent one over from an impossible angle Dunloy had opened up a 9 point lead.
Slaughneil again hit two points from the placed ball but with 9 minutes reamaining Chris Brogan collected the ball from Paddy Doherty to fire home Dunloy’s second goal of the half.

Dunloy were now in full flow and with Doherty, Conor Cunning, Paudie Shivers and Chris Brogan all tagging on Dunloy points to leave the home side comfortably ahead on a 2-11 to 0-4 scoreline.

The second half saw Dunloy pick up from where they had left off and with a very strong defence which saw Kevin Molloy, James McKeague and Kevin McKeague win the bulk of possession and by the 9th minute Dunloy had their 3rd goal as Alistair Richmond kicked one over the endline as the Slaughniel keeper had made an excellent save from Conor Cunning.

Dunloy then rang the changes and sent on Alistair Elliott, Peter McKeague and Paddy Richmond. Kevin Molloy then drilled over a long range free in the 17th but a minute later Alistair Elliott was left unmarked on the edge of the square and goal number 4 was scored.

Dunloy now took their foot off the pedal and late points from Paddy Richmond and Conor Cunning gave them a 4-21 to 0-6 final scoreline..

For Slaughniel this was a baptism of fire and they never got going and when these sides last met a late goal from Dunloy gave them a narrow two point victory.
Dunloy fielded 8 of the side that lost to Portuma and had control of this game almost from the throw-in.

Quicker sharper and the ablity to pick out their men saw the Ulster champions get their Ulster league campaign off to a winning start.

For Dunloy goalkeeper Ger Dixon made his senior bow and did everything asked of him and infront of him all six defenders gave him plenty of cover. Midfeld saw Colum Cunning and Paudie Shivers control the game while up front Paddy Doherty, Conor Cunning and Chris Brogan gave Slaughniel a torrid time..




Joe Canning’s clincial finishing from frees saw his Portuma reach their third all Ireland in a row as the big burly full forward sent over an impressive 1-8 from frees.
Dunloy did however give the champions plenty to think about and for long peroids in the second half the Antrim and Ulster champions rolled back the years and produced some excellent hurling.

The loss of so many key players in Damien McMullan, Malachy Molloy, Conor McKinley and Darren Quinn saw a very young and inexperience Cuchullians side take to the pitch.

Right from the throw in Dunloy were quick off the mark with Paddy Richmond opened his sides account with a well taken point.
Portuma were soon on level terms as Dunloy needlessly conceded a free when the picked the ball of the surface and Joe Canning sent over the resulting free.
Dunloy then fell further behind when Joe Canning again converted a huge 80yd free inside the 2nd minute and by the 4th minute Portuma were leading 0-3 to 0-1.
After a bright start now Dunloy were coming under serious pressure and mistakes in their own game allowed Portuma to take advantage as twice they overturned possession and when Canning converted his 3rd free in as many minutes to see Portuma leading 0-4 to 0-1.

Dunloy now hit back in the 10th minute when Sean Dowds saw his free find its range and go over the bar. Portuma then mounted another attack but this time it was well broken down by the Dunloy defence and swept upfield and Kevin McKeague slipped past his marker and fired over to cut the gap to a single point.
However Portuma are not champions for nothing and soon re-established their 0-3 cushion with points from Kevin Hayes and strong running from Damien Hayes saw him recieved the ball from Joe Canning and he picked off a point.

Peter Smyth then added a further point in the 17th minute his effort from a very acute angle and when Joe Canning tagged on 19th minute free it was 0-7 to 0-3.
Dunloy were working hard but little mistakes led to grave consequences when in the 20th minute Dunloy had possession and lost it needlessly. From a high ball in to Joe Canning he simply passed outside to Ciaran Ryan on the overlap and there was little Gareth McGhee could do as he was beaten at his near post.
This seemed to spark Dunloy into life and back they came with a solo effort from Paddy Doherty and when Joe Canning and Sean Dowds traded frees it was 1-6 to 0-5 with less than two minutes until half time Kevin Hayes gave his side a half time lead on a 1-10 to 0-5 scoreline.

The second half saw Dunloy emerge a different side and despite losing the first score of the half to a Canning free Dunloy began to back into the game.
An unfortunate injury to Sean Dowds saw him forced to retire and and Paul Shiels then took over free taking duty.

Greg O’Kane was rolling back the years winning possession and driving forward at every opportunity and he created the opening for Paul Shiels who was hauled down.
From the resulting free in Paul Shiels duly converted and when a three man move saw Greg O’Kane finish with a well taken point.

Dunloy had now built up a head of steam and were keeping Portuma pinned bacjk in their own half and in 10th minute Paul Shiels saw a huge 100yd free sail neatly between the posts.
Momentum was now with Dunloy but in the 13th minute a move arose which should have seen Dunloy take full advantage and crack home a goal but it was send wide.
From the resulting poc out Portuma again were awarded a rather soft free and Joe Canning then sent over to leave 0-7 between the sides.
Dunloy had done well to hang in there but a Liam Richmond 15th minute point was to signal a rise in tempo from Portuma.

3 unswered points from Andy Smyth (2) and 1 from Joe Canning saw all Dunloy’s hard work undone and in the 22nd minute Kevin Molloy was on hand to clear a certain Damien Hayes goal but following up was Kevin Hayes who fired over.
Dunloy refused to lie down and found themselves again bearing down on goal but luck and the width of the post saw them denied. Kevin McKeague was on hand to then fire over a long range point and when Malachy Molloy was introduced in the 24th minute Dunloy had closed the gap to 0-9.

Andy Smith and Paul Shiels traded points with 4 minutes to go and in the 27th minute controvesry reigned as a 21yd free was moved to a more adventageous position. Canning sent the ball like a rocket to the net and Ciaran Ryan gave Portuma a 2-18 to 0-12 win and seal their place in a third all Ireland final..

Although they lost this game by 12 points there was not 12 points between the sides. Dunloy much maligned defence gave an excellent account of themselves and managed to hold Joe Canning scoreless from play.

Without a shadow of a doubt Portuma are and have taken club hurling to another level and were sublime in everything they did. Their hurling flowed and with little fuss and their use of intelligent play were always to the fore Dunloy however came to Dublin with nothing to prove and on a day when many felt this game would be over in minutes Dunloy stuck to their task and had they had a full out a full team then perhaps the scores might have been closer.

Dunloy lost so much experience in the absence of both Malachy Molloy and Damien McMullan but their replacements took the game to Portuma and gave an excellent account of themselves.

Free ultimately were Dunloy’s undoing and the free count showed Dunloy conceding far too many and with a player of the ability of Joe Canning ever single free awarded resulted in a point for his side.
One could only admire the Portuma side but on the day Dunloy gave an outstanding account of themselves and can hold their heads high.
For Dunloy Gareth McGhee never put a foot wrong and his poc outs were long and well directed, infront of him James McKeague was given the difficult task of marking Canning and he accepted his duties and gave Canning a really tough game. Alongside him debutants Kevin Molloy, Cathaoir Cunning and Kevin McKeague worked tirelessly over the hour as did the entire Dunloy defence with Michael McClements and Paul Shiels solid over the hour. .

Midfeld saw Portuma hold sway but trying hard was Colum Cunning while up front Dunloy tried hard with Greg O’Kane, Sean Dowds and when introduced Alistair Elliott worked hard.

For Portuma their defence were strong and secure with Aiden O’Donohoe, Ollie Canning, Michael Ryan and Garret Heagney outstanding. Midfield saw Leo Smyth and Eoin Lynch form a very capable partnership while up front Joe Canning was excellent and recieved plenty of help and support from Damien Hayes, Andy Smyth and Kevin Hayes..


Paul Shiels 0-4 frees, Sean Dowds 0-2 frees, Kevin McKeague 0-2, Paddy Richmond 0-1, Greg O’Kane 0-1, Liam Richmond 0-1, Paddy Doherty 0-1.

Joe Canning 1-8 frees, Ciaran Ryan 1-1, Andy Smyth 0-3, Kevin Hayes 0-3, Damien Hayes 0-2, Peter Smyth 0-1..

Dunloy G McGhee, M McClements, J McKeague, C Cunning, K McKeague, P Shiels, K Molloy, P Shivers, C Cunning, G O’Kane, L Richmond, C Cunning, P Doherty, P Richmond, S Dowds. subs A Elliott for S Dowds inj, D Kelly for P Doherty.

Portuma I Canning, A O’Donnell, E McEntee, O Canning, G Heagney, M Ryan, P Smyth, L Smyth, E Lynch, A Smyth, K Hayes, C Ryan, D Hayes, J Canning, M Dolphin.

Referee Brian Garvin Offaly..

St Louis Ballymena into All Ireland Camogie Final

St. Louis Ballymena produced a battling performance to overcome a fancied Presentation College, Kilkenny in Saturday’s All Ireland U16 B Colleges Camogie semi-final in Nowlan Park, Kilkenny.

Both teams started well with solid defending keeping the game scoreless until the 13th minute when Emma McAleese(Portglenone) split the posts for the Ballymena side.

This settled some nerves and was followed by a point for Ellen Gribbin(Dunloy). Emma McAleese again found the target and stretched the St Louis lead to 3 points before Presentation pulled one back from a free. Helen McGhee (Portglenone) increased the
lead as she pulled off a superb catch and calmly slotted the ball
over the bar. Half time score 4-1 to St Louis.

Presentation started the second half strongly and, despite some excellent defending and great Goalkeeping from Shari Carey, scored 2 goals and 2 points without reply. The St Louis defence was under severe pressure for the first 15 min of the second half but the ball eventually made its way upfield and some great work from the forwards resulted in a 45m free. Niamh Doherty (Portglenone) lobbed a high ball into the square and a Cara McIntyre(Loughgiel) touch helped it find the back of the net. The Ballymena girls maintained the effort and Ellen Gribbin turned her player and found the net again 5 min later. This was quickly followed by a Cara McIntyre point and another goal, this time from the foot of Ellen Gribbin. This left the Ballymena side 5 points up with 5 min to go. .

Presentation collected the ball from the puck out and broke through to hit the St Louis net with 2 min remaining. A determined effort from all players ensured that this was the last score of the game and St Louis ran out winners 3-5 to 3-3 to make an appearance in the schools first ever All Ireland Camogie Final.

It was a fantastic team performance with great defence from Lauren Elliott, Shannon Woulahan and Eimear McGarry in particular.
Midfields Niamh Doherty and Lucia McNaughton showed outstanding work rate and skill.
Emma McAleese and Ellen Gribbin worked tirelessly in forwards..

From Antrim GAA website.

All Ireland Semi-Final

Gritty Dunloy Undone by Clinical Canning 17/02/10

Dunloy 0-12 Portumna 2-18.

It was billed as a David versus Goliath encounter by most, especially the bookies who gave us no chance against our opponents. Odds of 1/100 were a slander on the character of our boys that fought gallantly in Parnell Park on Sunday..

Gritty and tough, two of the words being used by the pundits to describe our performance against the All Ireland champions for the past two years. From keeper to the corner, to a man, our boys fought with the heart and the determination that is always shown when we represent our parish and club at this level.

It was Dunloy who opened the scoring after just 10 seconds when Paddy Richmond fired over a quick ball from the middle field throw in. We held the lead for all of 30 seconds when Damian Hayes began a run of four unanswered points for the Galway men.

Joe Canning accounted for the other three, all from the dead ball, the third of which was a goal-bound effort from the 21-yard line which was superbly tipped over by McGhee in goals.
Five minutes later the quick hands of Canning released Ciaran Ryan who made not mistake and raised the green flag for Portumna.

Paddy Doherty quickly replied but within minutes Canning and Kevin Hayes both raised flags either side of a Sean Dowds free for a 1-10 to 0-5 half-time lead.
Our best spell came just after the restart when four unanswered points, including a peach from Gregory O’Kane and a huge effort from Kevin McKeague, made the score 1-11 to 0-9 after 46 minutes.

With Portumna held scoreless for 12 minutes, it took a brace of Canning frees to settle their team, and when the full forward smashed the net with a 21-yard effort two minutes from time our dreams of another All Ireland final were over.
In reflection it was a tale of two defences and dead ball artists. Our defence made up of youth stood tall when it counted. Portumna relied on Canning, who in honesty gave a master class of free taking that we have been accustomed to seeing recently. It should be mentioned that Canning remained scoreless from James McKeague who stuck to his daunting task brilliantly and gave Canning and co something to think about on various occasions.

Our half back line with an average age of 21 showed unbelievable maturity and skill in the face of experienced campaigners from the Portumna forward and midfield line out.
The middle of the park saw a battle as Paudie and Colum attempted to curtail the quick delivery of ball to Portumna’s inside forward line. Both were dogged and had their work cut out especially under the dropping ball of many of their shorter puc outs.
In attack our forwards found it hard to find the gaps in front of our opponent’s goals. This wasn’t for the want of trying as Portumna deployed their centre half forward Hayes into the middle of the park allowing their midfielders to play an extra defensive role. Although this allowed Paul Shiels a sweeping role it had a serious affect on our attacking. This is reflected in the fact that only three scores from the two Richmonds and Paddy Doherty came from within thirty yards of goal.

It was great day for our club, to be back at this stage on Sunday with a team that is seen to be in the “transition stage”. We played a team that have three all Irelands in the last four years which shows the quality we were up against. We stuck to our task and came out proud.

Others have written us off on various occasions but they can say what they want. Our records are there for all to see. This year will stand to us in our bids to retain our Antrim and Ulster crowns this incoming year.
Dun Lathai abú.

Scorers — Portumna: J Canning 1-8 (1-8f), C Ryan 1-1, A Smith, K Hayes 0-3 each, D Hayes 0-2, P Smith 0-1. Dunloy: P Shiels 0-4 (4f), K McKeague, S Dowds (2f) 0-2 each, G O’Kane, L Richmond, P Doherty, P Richmond 0-1 each.

Portumna — I Canning; A O’Donnell, E McEntee, O Canning; G Heagney, M Ryan, P Smith; L Smith, E Lynch; A Smith, K Hayes, C Ryan; D Hayes, J Canning, M Dolphin.

Dunloy — G McGhee; M McClements, J McKeague, Cathaoir Cunning; K McKeague, Conor Cunning, K Molloy; P Shivers, P Shiels; G O’Kane, L Richmond, Colum Cunning; P Doherty, P Richmond, S Dowds. Subs: A Elliott for Dowds (35), D Kelly for Doherty (45), M Molloy for Shivers (52).

Ref — B Gavin (Offaly).

(Dominic Kearns)

About the Author

Back to Top ↑