Team News

Published on May 3rd, 2013 | by admin


Cuchullains claim Ulster Hurling League


Dunloy claimed the first silverware of the season when they beat a very good Cushendall side in the Ulster Hurling league final. With no county men available this is a fast open game which saw both sides produce some excellent hurling.
Dunloy had the benefit of the first half breeze and within a minute Sean Dowds had pointed. Kevin Molloy blasted over the top seconds later when put through by Kevin McQuillan and by the 3rd minute Dunloy had opened a three point lead when Sean Dowds picked off his second point of the afternoon.
Almost perfect conditions saw Dunloy maintain their strong start and in the 4th minute Kevin McKeague sent a 65yd free over the bar to leave 0-4 between the sides.
Slowly Cushendall were working their way back into the game with Ryan McCambridge and Karl McKeegan combining to get Cushendall their opening point in the 7th minute.
Direct from the poc out a push on Kevin McKeague then saw him pick himself up and point the resulting free to now leave Dunloy well ahead 0-5 to 0-1.
Three wides from Dunloy then followed Gareth McGhee just missing out by the narrowest of margins from all of 110yds but Sean Dowds got Dunloy moving again when he was sent free and from an over the shoulder shot he split the uprights.
Dunloy now seemed to sit back and admire their great work and slowly Cushendall began to reel them in with back to back points from Karl McKeegan. In the 17th minute Gareth McGhee had to be on top form as he saved point blank from a Karl McKeegan pile driver and the wall fell into the path of Mark Donaghy who pointed.
Just two points now separated the sides and in the 18th minute Sean Delargy scored what was to be Cushendalls final point of the half.
Dunloy now woke from their slumber and Paudie Shivers picked off a long range effort but injury was then to rob Dunloy of the services of Kevin McQuillan and he was replaced by Liam Richmond.
Sean Dowds now hit back to back points and when Liam Richmond picked off a long range effort in the 25th minute Dunloy had opened up a 5 point gap. Excellent work by Oran Quinn in the corner led directly to Dunloys next score as he found Sean Dowds who pointed. With half time fast approaching Liam Richmond left Dunloy 0-12 to 0-5 ahead at the short whistle.
Dunloy picked up from where they left off with Kevin Molloy taking less than 20 seconds to point but with the breeze now at their backs Cushendall hit back direct from the poc from the stick of Eoin Campbell.
John McManus in the 7th and by the 8th minute Cushendall were right back in the game when a sideline cut from Karl McKeegan was touched to the net by Mark Donaghy to now leave 0-3 between the sides.
Karl McKeegan in the 11th picked off a 55yd free but Sean Dowds then converted a 21yd free at the other end to keep 0-3 between the sides.
Dunloy now sent on Gareth McAllister for Miceal Murphy and when Kevin McKeague got caught in possession by Aiden McNaughton the gap was again down to 0-2.
Closing to within a point Karl McKeegan gave Cushendall every chance but from the poc out Dunloy worked the ball to the corner via Paddy Richmond to Sean Dowds and his pass was flicked to the net by Liam Richmond to give Dunloy a 4 point cushion.
A Karl McKeegan free was cancelled out by Sean Dowds and with Dunloy now hitting the quick ball into their forwards the space opened up. Gareth McGhee then sent over a free from deep inside his own half and late points from Kevin McKeague and Liam Richmond saw Dunloy leading by 7.
A John McManus goal two minutes into injury time came too late for Cushendall as Dunloy had held on to win on a 1-18 to 2-12 final scoreline.
Dunloy Sean Dowds 0-8, Liam Richmond 1-3, Kevin McKeague 0-3, Kevin Molloy 0-2, Paudie Shivers 0-1, Gareth McGhee 0-1
Cushendall Karl McKeegan 0-7, Mark Donaghy 1-1, John McManus 1-1, Sean Delargy 0-1, Eoin Campbell 0-1, Aiden McNaughton 0-1.

About the Author

Comments are closed.

Back to Top ↑